Friday, October 13, 2006

Practical Theologian?

I realize I haven't posted on my blog since May 31, which likely means that no one checks it. Nonetheless, today and this week have been significant in my discernment process of just what I want to do when I grow up, and I decided that part of the processing is getting it down on paper for others to see, so I can be held accountable.

I am applying to the Practical Theology department at PTS.

In the course of figuring out who I am I have come to the realization that I am "wired" to be a practical theologian. I always have some concrete situation in mind when I do theology, whether its a conversation with my mom, an off-the-cuff comment from a church member, or simply a mental picture I have for some unknown, future church (whether or not this church exists, will exist, or is simply the figment of my imagination, I submit its still concrete). My systematic theologian friends will argue that they too can operate this way, and certainly that's true. All I'm saying is this sort of drives me. I'm taking a class called "Theological Foundations for Youth Ministry" and everything I've been sort of thinking about and vassilating on over the last couple of years has coalesced into this class.

So there you go. Friends who might check in from time to time, you've been commissioned. Hold me accountable.

2 Comments:

At 5:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Intend to.

 
At 6:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your 'leaf' (I mean leap) of faith. Best wishes with the application process.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home