Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What Comes Next

Many of you already know, and the discerning reader caught the allusions in the last post, I'm sure, but I thought I'd make it more official: I have accepted the call to be the next high school youth pastor at the Evangelical Covenant Church of North Mankato in Minnesota. I will start June 6, officially, and am incredibly elated to be joining such a great church. The vote went well, or so I was told, and the church has been amazing in their outpouring of support for Amy and Soren and me. I look forward to figuring out how to keep my academic and intellectual side stimulated as a youth pastor. I'm sure it will take some intentional effort, like reading instead of watching the same Seinfeld episode for the 35th time, but I think I can do it. Along those lines, I have a request for the few people that read this blog.

I'm of course going to continue to read theology. No matter what I end up doing, that will always be a part of what I do. But, I'm also interested in reading a little more sociology, especially as it pertains to youth and youth culture (if there is such a thing). I have a few books in my cue, but I'd love some suggestions from those out there that might have some ideas. So if you know of anything, send the title my way.

8 Comments:

At 7:56 AM , Blogger W. Travis McMaken said...

I can't help you with the sociology stuff, but good luck and God-speed as you commence with your ministry. If I had teen-age children, I would want them to have you for a youth pastor.

 
At 8:14 AM , Blogger Erik said...

Thanks Travis. That means a lot. You mean you don't read sociology? :-)

 
At 8:27 AM , Blogger Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

hey,

congrats, golden gopher.

Carney

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger Erik said...

Josh,

Okay, you and I are going to have issues if you ever call me a golden gopher again. :-) I'm considering it my sojourn in a foreign land, the diaspora if you will. I have to figure out how to keep my boy from being lured away from the truth that Brett Favre is the greatest QB ever, that Bucky Badger is the most ferocious mascot in history, that UW is the greatest university is this great country, and that the Vikings will always, no matter what, be the most dispicable organization to ever exist (did someone say Sex Boat scandal?).

 
At 9:08 AM , Blogger W. Travis McMaken said...

I'll do my best to keep you accountable on the Favre issue!

 
At 1:18 PM , Blogger Jenell Williams Paris said...

Congratulations!!!

 
At 6:33 PM , Blogger Erik said...

Thanks Jenell. I was hoping you might stumble across this post (if you get back to the comments section and read this), if for no other reason than to pick your brain for possible resources.

 
At 8:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow--congrats on the big move!

You guys will be a LOT closer to us then--I hope your move goes well! Let me know when you're settled in (I have some things that accidentially never got shipped to you)!

I hope your transition goes smoothly!

Katie Heule

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home