Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Simplicity of Jesus

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am convinced that thoughtful, intentionally theological planning is part of the process of youth ministry. Learning how to most effectively do this as a youth pastor is a skill I'm still trying to hone. Then there are those nights where the simplicity of the gospel, the purity of Jesus of as God's great and gracious yes to all of us, is all that is needed. Last night was one of those nights.

We've been in the middle of a series on community, and last night I just wanted to help students understand that at the center of our community is a God who has revealed himself in Jesus Christ, and this God is passionate about them. We looked at Romans 8, and I simply told them about the God who says that nothing can separate them from his love. I then opened up the opportunity for students to pray with leaders. The response overwhelmed me.

Often we get so caught up in what we are doing, that we forget to clear our schedules and programming and just look for what God is doing. Last night, maybe even inadvertantly, we got a glimpse. I was able to hear about friendships being restored after a loss of trust. Students expressed doubt about God, but in the Psalms kind of way, where their doubt was genuine seeking. The light of the cross broke open their hearts and minds, and ours too. I am continually amazed that God invites us in on what he is doing, and last night was a tangible reminder of this.

2 Comments:

At 6:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Erik, thanks for your post. While I'm not a youth pastor, I have been hanging out with our youth, teaching them music, etc. It has surprised me that I've often felt the most liberated when telling the truth plainly to our youth. I think that seminary can force you to overthink so much, but I'm finding the real world to be liberating. The pressure is off, and ministry is now on. Great to hear your work is going well, and also great to hear that you're using a Mac. Perhaps your loss was providential?!?

Troy

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

i find people's stories who have been radically transformed by the gospel fascinating. having grown up in a pastor's home and always having had the gospel as a life hermeneutic, I lacked this once in a moment drastic experience. But yes it is a powerful story.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home