Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Relaunch of sorts...

I've really been thinking about this blog for awhile now. What do I want to use it for? Do I want to maintain it anymore? Do I want to use it constructively, that is, as a way of constructing new ideas? I don't think I have the time or energy to dedicate myself to a series, unless I really put some structure in place and managed it that way. I don't want to do that, though. Ergo, the missional theology for youth ministry series. I started reading Thomas a Kempis, and thought about offering thoughts on my readings. I have decided I'm not a fan of this either. As I've been reading, I quickly realized when I read with the idea of posting something about it, I didn't read to absorb the words, to be challenged and convicted by them. Rather, I read with the idea of posting something insightful or meaningful. This completely defeats the purpose of why I was reading Thomas a Kempis. I've shared random thoughts on experiences from ministry. I'm sure some of these will still make their way onto the blog from time to time, but I'd like to give a little more focus to my postings. Again, the question, what is the point of this blog, or how ought I to use it?

I read quite a bit. I spend at least an hour everyday with my nose in a book. I am thinking, then, that I'll start to use this blog to interact more publicly with those books. I still don't think I'll post everyday. With a family, a job in youth ministry, and frankly a life, I'm not sure I can make it happen in the substantive fashion I imagine (or maybe I'm not that substantive, but I'll pretend anyway). I'm guessing that as I go a significant amount of my comments and summaries will somehow pertain to youth ministry, but that makes sense, doesn't it?

So, anyway, there you go. I'm trying to bring a little focus and purpose to this blog, and if it doesn't work, I'll probably shut it down.

4 Comments:

At 5:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you shut it down, you must get yourself a t-shirt like the Bruce has, which reads: "Blogs are dumb."

 
At 4:27 AM , Blogger W. Travis McMaken said...

Where can I get one of those t-shirts? :-P

I hope it won't come to shutting down.

 
At 9:47 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Erik - one of the things that I've noticed lately, and blogged about the other day, is simply the creative factor in blogging. The more I've blogged regularly/semi-regularly, the more I've been interested in and the more the creative juice has flowed, not simply for the blog but for other things, like preaching & teaching. I think it's kinda like journaling, but better.

 
At 10:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

blog something new man.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home